Welcome!


Welcome! Join me as I share my experiences as a wife, mom, and kindergarten teacher, and my reflections on them all. Come along as I share my crazy journey!


Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Spelling Wars

My school is in the middle of a tug of war of sorts.  A spelling tug of war.  There are teachers who are using Evan Moore, Rebecca Sitton, Words The Way and a conglomeration of approaches made into their "own way." 

It is my understanding that in order to make spelling relevent to the child, it should be based on his/her own writing.  I look at my student's writing and find the close approximations.  Those become the spelling words for the child.  I'm not into the traditional Friday spelling tests.  That forces a child to memorize a word for Friday's test.  It doesn't commit that word into longterm memory.  My job is to help the child put it in longterm memory where he/she can continue to use it correctly in daily reading and writing.

So what is the right way?  Is there a right way?  What do you do?  Do you have any insights to offer?  I would love it hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment