Welcome!


Welcome! Join me as I share my experiences as a wife, mom, and kindergarten teacher, and my reflections on them all. Come along as I share my crazy journey!


Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thursday Quick Write

This was a fun exercise - even if it was harder than I expected!  I'm not sure where (or even if) this will go, but it was fun!


“Can you believe what she was wearing today?”
“I know, right? I’ve never seen anything so hideous!  Not even my Grandma would wear that thing!”
“She’s got to be the biggest nerd in this whole school!”
“She’s probably never even stepped one ugly toe in the mall!”
“No kidding!  Oh, hey! Quick, give me your homework to copy!  We only have a couple more minutes until the bell!”

Ugh! I never imagined there would be anyone else in here, especially the only two people in the whole school that I wanted to avoid!  This is my special space; where I can finally relax and breathe for a few minutes before I have to go back out there with them.  I don’t know why I’m surprised though.  That’s the kind of luck I always have.  They are always around; in every single class, in the lunchroom, in the bathroom, and now…in my breathing room.
I have been coming to the library during lunch for months just to have a few minutes away from them.  They don’t ever read, not even when teachers give assignments, so I always knew this would be a safe place.  At least, it was until today.  I really needed it today, too. 
I don’t know why they are always so mean to me.  I’ve never done anything to them.  I’ve never been anything but nice!  I think the thing that hurts the most though, is that we used to be friends.  That is, before we got to middle school.  I hate it here.

3 comments:

  1. "my breathing room" ... what a perfect way to describe the library for this character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very relatable character. I could feel her posture and discomfort in this piece. I wonder what she is going to do next? I can already tell she is strong enough to overcome the hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too like that 'breathing room'. And this is so sad. Makes me wonder how many are out there feeling this way. It's a good start Robin, and we don't even know her name yet!

    ReplyDelete