Welcome!


Welcome! Join me as I share my experiences as a wife, mom, and kindergarten teacher, and my reflections on them all. Come along as I share my crazy journey!


Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Little Moments

Join Ruth and Stacey at their blog Two Writing Teachers and read more Slice of Life stories every Tuesday!



It's dinnertime again.  How do I know? No, it's not the growling tummy.  It's not the smell of spaghetti sauce simmering on the stove either.  It's not even the family all sitting together at the dinner table.

It's the crying that gave it away.  It's the "I don't like meat in my spaghetti" and the "Do I have to have salad?"  It's the crying about not wanting to sit in the highchair and the crying about not wanting to sit at the table either.  It's the "Can I have some..." and the "I don't want any..." that gives it away.

It's the "eating my dinner after it's already cold" that gives it away.

Sigh.

-----------------

I love bedtime.  I love to snuggle up with the sweet, fresh-from-the-bath, pj-clad baby girl.  I love the way she cuddles in with her bottle held tight.  I love the way she hands me her empty bottle and puts her head on my shoulder.  I love the smell of her clean hair and her lavender lotion.  I love the way she sighs in her sleep.  I love her.

-----------------

"Mom, I'm going to read on the way home today.  Then, I can write down 20 minutes on my reading calendar for today," M said.  "I'm on chapter 4 already in my book!"

E pipes up, "I think I will read on the way home, too, Mom.  I brought my new Junie B. Jones book today."

The drive home is so sweet when you look in the rear-view mirror and see two heads bent over books.  It makes my heart smile to see my children read for enjoyment.  Yes, they have to read for school and note it on a reading calendar, but they choose to read in the car and they choose to read before bedtime and they choose to read on Saturday.  It's those times that I know they are reading because they love it.  It's when they ask to hear or look at Pete the Cat for the 12,947th time that I know they love reading.  :)

----------------

These are just a few snippets from my life lately.  This time of year is filled with so much.  It's full of wrapping things up at school, finding time to shop for presents, baking the special cookies, kids who are tired and need a break and parents/teachers who are equally ready for the break.  I have to stop sometimes and just take a moment to take it all in.  I have to take a breath and enjoy the good, the bad and everything in between.  It's the little moments that make everything worth it.

I hope you take some time to enjoy your little moments today.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your snippets of life! I love those reading moments, too. Enjoy! Even the dinner time battles. They grow up so fast! My oldest just turned 25 today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, take a breath and take it in is about right. It can be hard but the good moments make it all worth doing each day. Happy snuggling tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the description of bedtime with your daughter. The smells in particular stood out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little moments are so sweet, Robin, & isn't it nice that you are "writing" them down. Years from now you will love these pieces. And the one that maybe is a little spicier, the dinner time, is just reality, isn't it? I love hearing that too, just family!!

    ReplyDelete