Welcome!


Welcome! Join me as I share my experiences as a wife, mom, and kindergarten teacher, and my reflections on them all. Come along as I share my crazy journey!


Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Song Smash




I am a music lover, since forever and until forever.  If you could see my collection, you would know it's an eclectic mix, but always there. I always have music playing - in the car, during planning time, in the kitchen, in my head.  Especially in my head.  I usually have a song stuck in my head, playing on a continuous reel, over and over.  This weekend, I caught myself singing.  Interestingly, I had two different songs stuck in my head and I was singing first one and then the other.  When I realized this, I began to see how the songs fit together.  It was like creating a new poem from two old favorites.  I couldn't help myself, I had to get it on paper!  So, today I'm sharing a slice that is borrowed and remixed; a poem made from the lyrics of two songs smashed together for my enjoyment. 

Right from the start
You were a thief
You stole my heart
And I your willing victim
I let you see the parts of me
That weren't all that pretty
And with every touch you fixed them

Not really sure how to feel about it
Something in the way you move
Makes me feel like I can't live without you
It takes me all the way
I want you to stay

Now you've been talking in your sleep,
Things you never say to me,
Tell me that you've had enough
Of our love, our love

It's not much of a life you're living
It's not just something you take – it's given

You've been havin' real bad dreams,
You still lie so close to me,
There's nothing more than empty sheets
Between our love, our love
Oh, our love, our love

Ooh, the reason I hold on
Ooh, 'cause I need this hole gone
Funny you're the broken one but I'm the only one who needed saving
'Cause when you never see the light it's hard to know which one of us is caving


Just give me a reason
Just a little bit's enough
Just a second, we're not broken just bent
And we can learn to love again
It's in the stars
It's been written in the scars on our hearts
That we're not broken just bent
And we can learn to love again


The black lyrics are taken from the song "Just Give Me A Reason" performed by Pink (written by Jeff Bhasker, Nate Ruess, and Alecia Moore).
The red lyrics are taken from the song "Stay" performed by Rihanna (written by Mikky Ekko and Justin Parker).

The Slice of Life Story Challenge is hosted by Stacey Shubitz at the Two Writing Teachers blog.

5 comments:

  1. Two songs, one writer a new creation. Such a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I always see music too...people moving to in when I'm driving and looking. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just Give Me a Reason has been one of my favorite songs for the last several months. Stay is okay, but love the other. Mashed and blended they do tell a love story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Elsie, I love that you've told a story as you mash the songs together. I kind of know Just Give Me A Reason, but not the other. What fun this must have been, Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading your new version, Robin. Thanks for sharing.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete