Welcome!


Welcome! Join me as I share my experiences as a wife, mom, and kindergarten teacher, and my reflections on them all. Come along as I share my crazy journey!


Monday, May 21, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

Check out this meme hosted by Jen and Kellee at their site: teachmentortexts.com

First, I have to say, I have been reading and enjoying the book reviews that people post as part of this meme for a while now.  I finally decided that it was time to jump in there myself.  So, here we go!

What have I been reading?  Last week was a crazy jumble of things!  My kindergarten students have studied  several authors this year and one of the favorites, and one of my favorites as well, is Mo Willems.  We studied Mo a while ago, but recently, on a trip to the library with my own children, I found a couple books by Mo that we hadn't read yet.



My students LOVED this book!  They thought it was hilarious!  After about the second page, when Elephant and Piggy decide to play catch and Snake asks if he can play too, my students started making predictions like crazy!  This book was a joy to share.


I also found this little gem - I know it isn't new but I hadn't been able to get my hands on it in the library yet.  I guess everyone likes it because it's been checked out each time I've tried to find it!  My students adore Pigeon and loved this story.  They were hooked as soon as I read the title!

 
This book was shared by a colleague.  My students had recommended a Mo Willems book to her students during our author study.  She bought this book for her class and when she read it to them, they decided my students would enjoy it too and wrote us a letter telling us about it!  They even shared the book with us for a couple days.  The kids really enjoyed it and said it was one of their favorite Pigeon stories!

We have also been conducting a study of Eric Carle - both as an author and an illustrator.  Last week we read:

The Grouchy Ladybug
The Mixed-Up Chameleon
The Tiny Seed
A House For Hermit Crab
Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?

This week we will be continuing our study of Eric Carle.  We will be reading:

The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Papa, Please Get the Moon For Me
My Apron
The Very Lonely Firefly
Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too?

We will also be trying our hand at painting like Eric Carle this week.  We will be making our own Hungry Caterpillars using some of Carle's techniques.

What a fun week we have ahead!  Happy reading!

4 comments:

  1. Love all these! Great books shared by a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love all of these, Robin. Some of the Mo Willems are new to me so I'll look them up, but my granddaughter loves him & may have them. The Eric Carle books are marvelous. Did you know he has a museum dedicated to the picture book in Amherst, MA? The Papa, Please Get The Moon for Me was a find for my son-in-law who prefers Papa more than Daddy, so he & my granddaughter have loved it & build houses with ladders going up to the moon, etc. It's a gem. Your class is very lucky to do all this specific study of authors. I hope you will have them write them sometime! Thanks for all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great books for young readers! My favorite Elephant and Piggie is We Are In a Book! Love that one. And the seahorse book by Eric Carle is one of my favorites, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Willems AND Carle? What a great way to wrap up the year! :D

    Maria @novalibrarymom.com

    ReplyDelete