Today I am sharing a list of celebrations because I just couldn't narrow it down. That's a pretty good problem to have I think! Here they are...in no particular order. My top 6 celebrations from the week:
1. Today is my sister's birthday! It's a beautiful fall day here in Michigan and a lovely day to celebrate! And because it's her birthday...I won't even tell you how old she is. Happy birthday to a wonderful lady!
2. My daughter is in my kindergarten class this year. I had my reservations about it but it has been a great experience so far. It's a blessing to be able to watch her learn and grow in the classroom setting and also to know that I had a hand in that growth!
3. I have a great student teacher this year! She's beginning to take over much of the teaching (which is a celebration itself!) and is doing well. We also were fortunate to take our first field trip to the local cider mill this week. The weather was beautiful and the trip was great!
4. My principal and student support coordinator made a deal with the school to wear Thing 1 and Thing 2 costumes if the school reached a reading goal. Each month the school sends home a reading calendar and asks students to read throughout the month and record it on the calendar. The deal was if 75% of students completed and returned their reading calendars in September, they would dress up for a whole day. This was a first time challenge and the students came very close! There was a 73% turnout and because they were so close, Thing 1 and Thing 2 made their appearance during the lunch and recess periods on Friday. It was truly a sight to behold, many pictures were taken and many smiles were shared.
5. I have been reading such wonderful writing lately! I've been lucky to watch my friend's writing journey soar to a new level and lucky to read both her drafts and her finished pieces. It's been a lot of fun for me to watch each piece develop and to see her writing process in action! I'm so proud of her and the success she has found as a writer.
6. It seems a little odd to celebrate a conversation, but I had a good conversation with a friend this week. It was nice to share a moment with someone who has been in similar shoes as my own. I had been feeling a little lonely in one aspect of my life until this conversation when I learned that she too had experience in this area. I didn't think I had any friends who could relate to my situation but she could. It felt really good to know I was not alone in my feelings. Her positive perspective and understanding was just what I needed and I left the conversation feeling a little lighter. I'm thankful to count her as a friend.