Welcome!


Welcome! Join me as I share my experiences as a wife, mom, and kindergarten teacher, and my reflections on them all. Come along as I share my crazy journey!


Thursday, March 13, 2014

Day 13 - A Little Minion Magic

 
 
My son is 10...for another 17 days.  I can't believe he is that old!  This week we completed our last Cub Cake for Cub Scouts.  Another milestone finished. 
 
Each year, our local Cub Scouts organization puts on a family activity evening.  There is a theme each year and each Scout is asked to bring a cake decorated according to the theme to be auctioned off in a silent auction to raise money for the group.  We have made several fun cakes over the years, but this one was probably the most enjoyable.  Maybe because it was our last one, maybe because we just had fun together in the kitchen.
 
The theme this year, was movies.  The cakes could be decorated any way we wanted, as long as they fit the movie theme in some way and as long as everything on the cake was edible.  Since I do most of the work for the cake, I told my son and husband to choose the movie but make it simple.  (I basically begged my husband to guide our son toward something simple as I knew I would be making this cake after a long evening of conferences!)
 
My son decided he wanted to make a minion from Despicable Me.  I googled minions to get some ideas and pictures to look at.  My son helped to measure and mix the cake ingredients.  He licked the beaters and loaded the dirty dishes into the dishwasher.  He helped me measure and mix up the frosting.  We had a lot of fun together in the kitchen...something we don't do together very often, though I'm not sure why.
 
We decided on the cake idea together and began working.  He helped me mix the food coloring into the frosting to create the colors we needed.  We began working together to frost the cake.  I grew up watching my mom make and decorate cakes for birthdays, weddings, all kinds of celebrations.  I taught my son several of the things that I learned from watching my mom over the years.  He asked questions about why I did things certain ways and I often told him that I had no idea why but that was the way my mom did it so that was the way I did it too!  And now, it will be the way he does it too!
 
Matthew had a great idea for making the buttons on the cake...Hershey kisses, upside down and poked down into the cake.  He also had the brilliant idea of using the inside cream from Oreos to make the minion's teeth.  We think it turned out pretty great!  It sold at the Cub Cakes auction for $18.  Not too shabby for a $5 project, but the memories we made together are worth so much more.
 
What do you think?
 
 


1 comment:

  1. That's a great Minion! Fun times together in the kitchen is priceless. So glad you were able to work together. Nice price!

    ReplyDelete