Welcome!


Welcome! Join me as I share my experiences as a wife, mom, and kindergarten teacher, and my reflections on them all. Come along as I share my crazy journey!


Monday, March 12, 2012

Cheers - a reflection on reading and slicing


Slice of Life Writing Challenge - Day 12 - hosted by Ruth and Stacey at Two Writing Teachers.


Recently, as part of the Slice of Life challenge, Stacey asked slicers to reflect on our writing so far this month.  I answered her charge at the time by commenting; leaving my thoughts.  However, I have continued to reflect on this and was even thinking about it as I woke up this morning.  Here is today's reflection:

"Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.
Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.
Wouldn't you like to get away?"


                               
   

I've had the "Cheers" tv show theme song in my head all day.  I'm not sure why.  I couldn't tell you the last time I actually heard the song...but it's there, so there must be a slice about it, right?


As I pondered this idea today, I was watching my students read.  I couldn't help but feel proud of their reading journey.  I thought about how hard it was when they first started; how long it took for us to build up our reading stamina to the point we are now...20+ minutes!!

The atmosphere in the classroom today as they shopped for new books was electric.  Many of them were shopping in a new reading level!  It certainly makes my job fun, and worth while, when I see that gleam in their eyes that tells me they are feeling proud of themselves.  (And it doesn't hurt to know that over half of them just moved up a reading level either!)
I just love the way they drape themselves around the classroom now and get cozy during reading to self time.  Some of them truely lose themselves in their books for a little while.  The SOL writing challenge has become this for me!  Writing and reading SOL stories has become my time to:
 
"...take a break from all [my] worries
[and it] sure does help a lot. 
Wouldn't [I] like to get away..."
 
Yep, I think I'll go read a few slices.

8 comments:

  1. That is what reading and writing do for me and I hope many of our students as well. Nice connection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great connection. I love how you wove the theme song into this as you made the connection. I also liked the description of your students as they read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this connection and the song too! Yay for reading stamina! Would love to have those kinders in my first grade.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you said they drape themselves around the classroom. It sounded like the way most of us read, comfy, cozy and with our favorites! I also love how you wove the song through your post, you are so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting that the song popped into your head and you noticed the connection to your students and their reading. Writing makes you more aware everywhere. That is so cool! What great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really like this connection to the writing you are doing, & reflecting, and with the song from Cheers. I haven't thought of the song for a long while, but it does work in the wording, doesn't it? And yes, I would like to get away, but really, in my writing, I do. thanks Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to tell you-I like your background!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beacutiful connection between the lyrics and the images of learning to be readers. I don't think I really thought about those lyrics as so meaningful - but they are!

    ReplyDelete