Welcome!


Welcome! Join me as I share my experiences as a wife, mom, and kindergarten teacher, and my reflections on them all. Come along as I share my crazy journey!


Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Chalking Up a Slice

    

Wow! It's a great day when I get to slice and chalk!  Today is Slice of Life Tuesday hosted by Ruth Ayres and Stacey Shubitz at their Two Writing Teachers blog AND it is Chalk-abration day hosted by Betsy at her blog Teaching Young Writers.  Check out more Slice of Life stories or Chalk Poems - or better yet - write your own to share!

Wouldn't you know it rained on Chalk-abration day?!  Since it was too wet for chalking outside...we improvised!  We used large sheets of black paper and our sidewalk chalk instead.


My students have not studied poetry yet so we mostly did chalk drawings...and shared a lot of smiles!  I added my own poem (originally published here) to their pictures...it just seemed to fit.

In Just- Spring

In just
Spring





When the world
Is Flower-delicious
And the bees buzz
My ears



In just
Spring





When the world
Is
Flutter-iffic
And the colors
Flash
Before my eyes










In just
Spring




When the world
Is
Puddle-tastic
And the mud
Beckons
Call to me









 

Sp
       l
         a
               sh!


8 comments:

  1. What a fun collaboration of drawing and writing! I love your made up words, they fit perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the poem and the chalk drawings together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so adorable and your poem, wow...it does fit so perfectly. I am so glad you found a way to join today. Awesome improv that makes chalking an any day activity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love those kid drawings-where the faces always 'look' at us. Gorgeous, Robin. And I'm happy to hear the poem again-wishing for spring of course and the 'flutter-ific' world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a lot of fun! I love the line in your poem about the colors flashing before your eyes! So happy Spring has arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your students art work with chalk makes the poem so much fun! Great way to improvise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robin,
    Your students are fabulous artists. Your poem works perfectly! Our class joined the Chalkabration as well.

    Here's our link: http://merelylearningtogether.weebly.com.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the word choices of you kids! You were so clever to break out the black paper~always flexible are we!

    We also participated in Chalk-a-bration!
    http://www.behindthescenesinfirstgrade.com/index.html

    Then visit our Poetry Place to see other chalk-a-bration celebrations

    ReplyDelete