Welcome!


Welcome! Join me as I share my experiences as a wife, mom, and kindergarten teacher, and my reflections on them all. Come along as I share my crazy journey!


Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Day 4 - Shocked

March 4, 2020

I’m still feeling shocked and more than a little sad.

One of my young five year old kindergarten kiddos said some things today that are cringe-worthy.

He was talking to his math interventionist while they were working today in my classroom. He stopped his work to share a story with a big smile on his face, obviously feeling proud of what he was about to say.

“My dad said I should be a good boy at school and a bad boy at home.” He said this last part while wiggling his eyebrows up and down.

Miss J handled it pretty well. Better than I did...standing there with my jaw hanging open. She said she thought he should be a good boy at school AND at home. He scowled a bit and thought about that quietly for a few minutes.

And that’s when the real shock hit.

“Miss J,” he said. “I can’t wait until I’m a grown up.”

“Why?” she asked.

“Because I will be able to have a girlfriend and I can hold her boobs! My dad told me.”

Um, what?

This boy is 5. He’s an immature 5 year old even. This leaves me feeling sad and wondering so many things.

Why would they have been having this conversation in the first place? Why would a grown man tell his 5 year old child something like that? If he is talking this way as a 5 year old, what is going to happen when he’s 10 or 15?

Now, I realize I am all out judging this father right now, but what kind of shady dude do you have to be to do this? Then I realize that this boy lives with his dad because he’s the “better” parent in this situation.

Say what?

To top it off, I also had:
* a child steal a toy from another staff member and lie about it
* a child screaming and crying for 10 minutes because he didn’t like what he had to do
* a child refuse to do her work during math time and missed recess to complete her work
* a child pat a staff member on the behind as he walked by her

What is happening in their worlds to create situations where these things are all happening on a regular basis? This is just a typical Wednesday.

I’m just...sad.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that kindergarten can make you sad. It should be a time of wonder and our world is just making it harder for our kids just to be kids. Those kids are lucky to spend their days with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some days leave us feeling this way. Wondering how we got here and why the world is so confusing. You know that your classroom is a place where you can create an environment that demonstrates respect and care. As Rita mentioned, they are all very lucky. It does feel like we are defeated when stories this like this happen though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel you! I had 1st graders doing the "Pennywise" dance today. These precious little kids are exposed to things they cannot possible handle or even fully understand. At least for the time they are in school, we can keep the harsh realities of our world at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so sad. That father is robbing his little one of childhood, sharing stories and images that he shouldn't have until he is much older. (or ever) So sorry!

    ReplyDelete