Welcome!


Welcome! Join me as I share my experiences as a wife, mom, and kindergarten teacher, and my reflections on them all. Come along as I share my crazy journey!


Thursday, March 1, 2012

Friends, Mentors and a Side of Gratitude

I decided to take the Slice of Life Challenge this year.  I have committed to writing each day for 31 days.  Now...what to write?

I have been thinking a lot lately about my journey as a teacher.  How did I get to this place where I am today?  What led me here to this place of confidence in myself and my abilities as a teacher? 

As I look back on my travels through this crazy land of teaching and learning, there are a few key things that have pushed me to where I am today.  I was fortunate enough to be hired into a school district that offers me opportunities to grow and learn.  I was also fortunate enough to have a change in leadership in that district at just the right time for me...that exact moment when I was ready to step-up and do a little more, learn a little more.  That was the first door that opened into this place where I am today.

As I traved through that door I had some important decisions to make.  I could continue to align myself with those people who didn't push my thinking, push my learning OR I could align myself with those who did.  This, of course, is the path I chose.  It wasn't an easy fork in my road but it was a turn that made all the difference in getting me to this place I am now.

And then, through the next door, along comes B, that person who really made all the difference in my world.  You know that one friend, right?  That one friend you can talk to about anything?  The one you can discuss and debate things with, share joys and sorrows and frustrations with?  That's the one I mean.  She is the one who came along at just the right time.  She is the one who not only is my friend for the everyday life stuff, but she is also the friend who pushes my thinking in the classroom and professional arena.  She is the one that I can grow with.  I'm so thankful that I found her friendship and support and even more thankful that she "lives" across the hall from me at school.

Next, comes G.  Through a string of random events, she walked through my door (or maybe I walked through hers) and I landed a mentor.  Not the kind of mentor you are quickly assigned when you begin teaching, but the kind of mentor that guides and shapes you with the kindness of a grandma and the wisdom and experience of someone who has walked in your shoes and come out on the other side.  The kind of mentor that changes everything!  Had I not met her and had the amazing experience of learning from her, I wouldn't be in this place today.  I am thankful to have her as a mentor and even more thankful to call her my friend.

And so...here I am today.  In a place where I love what I do even when it frustrates me. A place where I experience ups and downs and can reflect and learn from both.  A place where I am brave enough to step out and take the Slice of Life Challenge and commit to writing EVERYDAY!!!  Who would have thought I would end up here?  Certainly not me, but I am so glad I'm here.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I was privileged to teach at the same elementary school I had attended. One of my favorite teachers, my 4th grade teacher, was still there but was now teaching first grade, in the room next to me! So great to have one of the women who led me into teaching become one of my teaching mentors and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to have so many people in your life that inspire you to live better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the chapters we go through in life are great, revealing and surprising aren't they? You have a voice and people want to hear you. Thanks for sharing your slice...and onto tomorrow, March 2nd!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that the best place -- the place we never imagined, yet are so glad to be?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had dinner on Saturday night with one of my most important mentors and dearest friends, then came home and wrote a slice similar to yours. Haven't published it yet, but I might some time this month…Like you, I am so thankful for the "life teachers" that have shaped my life…

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you are a learner. I hope to learn more from you as this month rolls on.

    ReplyDelete